Important Notice to Berkey Customers

January 21st, 2023

If you have purchased Black Berkey replacement elements from Watermatters™ since August 2021 that you have stored for future use, or if your elements are in use and ... More »

Vitaminwater –Are you kidding?

Just in case you’re falling for Coke’s latest twist on bottled water… read the pharmaceutical-looking labels on Vitaminwater’s dressed-down bottles. You’ll see that this beverage, promoted as the means to ‘hydrate responsibly’, contains a load of sugar (33 grams) and a token trace of synthetic vitamins.

Coca Cola has been sued for misleading health claims regarding this product. Ironically, Coke’s legal defence asserted that “no consumer could reasonably be misled into thinking vitaminwater was a healthy beverage”. So why are we falling for it?

Now that bottled water and the Dasani brand are no longer ‘cool’, Coca Cola has come up with new angles to persuade us to keep buying its beverages –some form of water bottled in plastic. We rarely stop to think about the vast amounts of water required to fill all these bottles and where it all comes from. We don’t link our purchase of a drink with Coca Cola’s history – one of unconscionable exploitation of water resources.

PlantBottle™ is another one of Coke’s more recent marketing strategies, casting itself as environmentally progressive! Although these containers are made from a blend of up to 30 percent plant-based materials, PlantBottles™ can hardly be considered ‘green’. This 30 percent portion is dependent upon a water-guzzling, soil-depleting, chemical-dependent crop – sugar cane. The other 70 percent is good old petroleum-based plastic.

The main thing being sustained by PlantBottle™ is our global habit of buying Coke’s beverages in disposable plastic bottles at the rate of nearly 1.6 billion servings per day. These bottles remain among the largest percentage of beverage containers that end up in the landfill.

Why buy precious water taken from someone else’s watershed? Buy a water filter appropriate to your local water conditions and a good reusable water bottle. Filter your own!

2 Responses to “Vitaminwater –Are you kidding?”

  1. Juliet Austin Says:

    Love the title of the post, Mary! Can’t understand how so many people fall for this misleading label. I guess people don’t read?

  2. Mary Says:

    Thanks for your comment, Juliet! The bottled water industry ‘sucks’ us in with relentless, subtle and extravagant marketing tricks as described in another great article by Peter Gleick…